Things that have been exciting this year

I simply can't do the amazing sort of lists like I'm Always Right and Popjustice because a) I can't be bothered and b) I don't have enough money to buy loads of music and c) I no longer work in the music industry in any way, shape or form, so I a) haven't really got into music as much as usual this year and b) there hasn't REALLY been that much good stuff around. IMO.

So I thought I'd do a very casual little list about exciting things. And include movies. Yeah, that's a good idea.


BWO

Halcyon Days is an awesome album. It's not as exciting as Protoype, mainly because I find tracks 6, 7 and 8 to be a bit shit. But the rest is just amazing and they have kept coming up with some incredible videos. This is why they are greatest pop band around at the moment (click play!)








It has flying dogs and other cool stuff! Just amazing.

What's something else I enjoyed this year. Well Infernal were really slack and cancelled their tour to Australia, instead deciding to stay and promote From Paris to Berlin in the UK. Bastards. But they did come up with an amazing new cover of Self Control which has a great video featuring lots of liquids and things:








It's quite wonderful.

Oooh and I almost forgot - Lucky by Lucky Twice! Two random Swedish girls singing a happy song, and the video features glow-worms! And it features a great lyric: Even though you said it would never end it's over/You were smiling on my arm now you're crying on my shoulder, and "over" and "shoulder" is pronounced in that wonderful Swedish/American accent!



What else.

Girls Aloud, September, Da Buzz, Marie Serneholdt, Dannii Minogue etc were all still rather good, but everything I've listened to this year and really got into...was from last year. How disappointing really. I've just bought a Sony Walkman MP3 player, so maybe that will get me a bit more excited. But I can see myself listening to lots of old music really!

Well what's reasonably exciting at the moment. How about this song:

My Love by Justin Timberlake. It has all these little synthy sounds in it that just sound very cool. And it also has a line about Justin's toes in the sand! That would get any person who is into feet going for days, especially given that he brought sexy back.
MOVIES!

I saw loads of good movies this year.

Matchpoint: this was quite sexual. Look at the photo! It was my first Woody Allen movie.
Jindabyne: it was quite exciting to see this movie, because I know the actual place Jindabyne quite well. It was very dreamy and made me feel all funny. Could have had a better ending. It was very exciting and now every time I see a horrible looking man driving a ute, I say it looks like a Jindabyne Car!

Over the Hedge: the first kids' movie I'd seen in AGES and I really enjoyed it. Despite the presence of Avril Lavigne.

The Da Vinci Code: yeah it wasn't as good as the book, but it really wasn't that bad. I hope they do Angels and Demons soon, because that should be way better.

Borat: very very very very funny. "Orange water panties" is my favourite line.
Little Miss Sunshine: oh gosh, this was just beautiful. Beautiful! I just BURST out crying when the guy finds out he can't be a fighter pilot because he is colourblind, because I would love to be a pilot and am also a bit colourblind.

Brokeback Mountain: well this made me cry when Heath smells the other bloke's shirt. So sad.

Charlotte's Web: I cried for half the movie. I just couldn't help myself.

Hidden: This was mysterious.

Flightplan: Ooh now this WAS enjoyable. I love planes.

Volver: This was just LOVELY and makes me want to go to Spain and tend my grave.

The Black Dahlia: I didn't understand HALF of it. But it was still quite good.

The Prestige: Oh now this was VERY good. Thoroughly enjoyable.

C-R-A-Z-Y: Now this was AMAZING. Loved it. Except the bit in the desert. That was silly.

Friends with Money: This was LOVELY. Not really a cinema movie but it was a lovely little tale.
V for Vendetta: Thorougly enjoyable!

Transamerica: Just LOVELY.

I've just realised I'd be a really CRAP film reviewer. But you get the gist surely?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The BWO album was one of my favourites for the year. I love all the tracks including 6, 7 and 8. They may not be the best on the album but they're still great songs, especially "Angel of the Night".

They have just released their remix album "Halcyon Nights". Check it out.